Monday, November 19, 2012

Mom's Potato Salad

Updated from a previous recipe, this is a special potato salad that my Mom used to make for family holidays together.  Over the years of helping her make this, I became an expert potato peeler!  It is best to make this the day before it's meant to be served, as the flavors will have time to set in and the salad is best served chilled.  I could eat this morning, noon and night!

10-12 russet or red (or both!) potatoes
2 stalks celery
1/2 red onion
2 large (or 5 small) dill pickles
6 radishes
Vegenaise
mustard
celery seed
salt & cracked pepper

1: Peel potatoes, cut into cubes and boil until medium-soft (very important not to boil too long or your salad will be mash!).  Rinse in cold water and set aside
2: Dice onion, celery stalks, pickles and radishes, then add the mixture to cooled potatoes
3: Generously add the Veganaise, mustard, celery seed, salt/cracked pepper to suit your taste.  I, personally, have a mustard obsession
4: Add sliced radishes for decoration (my Mom's signature!), chill overnight (if possible) and serve cold...delicious!

*Note: My mom's recipe involved Miracle Whip (she does NOT like Mayo!) and hard-boiled eggs.  I added the celery seed.  Also, do not add sliced red peppers...I learned the hard way--it will make it taste like grocery store potato salad!  :-/

No comments: